Mars Facts for Kids | Interesting Facts About Mars for Kids

Mars facts for kids

In my previous post, I talked about 25+ interesting facts about astronomy. But today I’m going to talk about Mars facts for kids. In this post, I will share some interesting and informative facts about mars for kids as well as for adults.

Mars Facts for Kids

  • Mars is also known as Red Planet.

It is also known as “Red Planet” due to its reddish appearance. Its surface is red due to the presence of iron in the soil. To be more specific, It is because of iron rusting and some other elements.

  • You weigh less on the red planet!

If you weigh 100 lb on earth then you will weigh 38 lb on mars. It is because of less force of gravity on Mars. It has less force of gravity than earth because it has about one-tenth of the mass of earth.

  • Mars has two moons!

The red planet has two moons. Their names are “Phobos” and “Deimos”. Phobos is almost twice as large as Deimos. The diameter of Phobos and Deimos is almost 22 Km and 12 Km respectively.

  • A year on the red planet is twice as large as a year on earth

A year on the red planet has 687 days which is almost twice of 365 days in a year on earth. For your information, A day on the red planet has a duration of about 24 hours and 40 minutes.

  • It is twice as big as the moon

Its diameter is about 4220 miles. Which is twice the diameter of the moon.

  • It is about half of the size of earth.

Yes, It is smaller than earth. Earth has a diameter of about 7917 miles. While Mars’ diameter is 4220 miles which is almost half of the earth’s diameter.

  • It is too cold

On average the temperature on the red planet is about minus 60 degree Celsius. And in winter it can be even worse. According to NASA, the temperature range on Mars is -140 degrees centigrade to 30-degree centigrade. The coldness is due to the distance from Sun and it’s atmosphere.

  • Its atmosphere is not suitable for life

Its atmosphere is 96% CO2, the remaining 4% are Argon, Nitrogen etc.

  • Mars has solar system’s biggest mountain

Olympus Mons is known as the largest mountain of our solar system. Olympus Mons is 25 Kilometer high, about three times as high as Mount Everest.

  • The red planet has weak force of gravity

The red planet has a weak force of gravity compared to the force of gravity on earth. It has about 60% less force of gravity compared to the force of gravity near earth’s surface.

You May Also Like :

Haumea (Dwarf Planet): Haumea facts, Diameter, Moon, Orbit, Surface, Distance from Sun

10 Neptune facts: Interesting facts about Neptune

Makemake (Dwarf Planet): Makemake Facts, Moon, Diameter & Atmosphere

I hope you enjoyed reading Red planet or Mars facts for kids. Please share these Mars facts and information with others!

Tags: Space facts Mars, Interesting Facts about Mars for kids, Planet Mars facts for kids.

Be the first to comment on "Mars Facts for Kids | Interesting Facts About Mars for Kids"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*